Post 2: Songs and Memories

 


Peter Gabriel

I think one of the moments I treasure the most happened when I was around 7 years old (I’m not so sure) and I watched a performance of a singer named Peter Gabriel.

I don’t remember exactly why I was at my house that day (probably it was a weekend), I just know that when I entered the living room the TV was on, which was most likely my parents' fault. Moved by pure curiosity I looked at the TV and without noticing I ended up watching a live performance. At the moment I didn’t know but what I was watching was the last show of a tour of Peter Gabriel in 2003, Peter was singing along with a woman and I got impressed that despite the age he seemed to be his voice could be heard over the cheers of the crowd, it was so powerful. Futhermore I must say the song that left me speechless and I remember more clearly at that time was Downside up. It started as a slow song, then it began to get louder and suddenly Peter and the woman were hanging upside down by some cables above the stage, they even walked with their blood in their heads and kept singing during two more minutes, it was incredible, I was so amazed that until now I haven’t forget it.

I liked that memory because after that I thought it will be amazing to try something as crazy as that, so near that time when I got the opportunity to throw myself on a zip line of a canopy I didn’t hesitate and I just did it. It was one of the best experience I've ever had, I think I was able to do it because I saw Peter did something similar.

Through the years I keep listening to Gabriel thanks to my parents that have tapes and CDs, I also got to know what kind of singer he is, until now he hasn’t disappointed me. After all he is very creative, writes songs that include social content and is an activist for human rights, in fact, he participated in all the “28 Amnesty's Human Rights Concerts” in 1990, including the “Embrace of hope concert” in Chile that took place when we got back to democracy, a show where he sang along with Inti Illimani.

Even if he doesn’t know, he is also a strong memory of my childhood (My parents played his music whenever they could) but it's a good feeling that you listen and like the music played by someone as talented and conscious as him.

I hope one day I can attend to one of his concerts, before he crosses to the other side, even if he still does tours, at the end of the day, he is 71.

Comentarios