Post 07: Changes to my study progamm

Sede Juan Gómez Milla

Despite our global context, I think the development of my career in this university hasn’t disappointed me. Maybe I would have liked to live this process on better circumstances, but I either way I already knew it was going to be tough. Regardless of the issues of this year, due to some of the subjects in journalism I’ve kept acquiring and evolving many tools, which are going to help me to correctly execute my future profession. Unlike the beginning of this year, now I understand better the weight of the responsibilities that I’ll have when I become a journalist, I’ve also improved a bit more in my English studies, as well as my level of writing and knowledge regarding the law.

Although I learnt a lot, I also had difficulties, there are contents that doesn’t make much sense, specifically when they are related to analysed writings of decades or centuries ago, considering that unless they are associated to history or undeniably essential, I would like to avoid if it’s possible the use of old texts or books as readings for lessons, because in some aspects it’s too hard to do a connection to the present.

Regarding my current curriculum I believed I lack experience to consider what is best to add, maintain or take out, however I’m truly excited with the idea to learn “photojournalism” and “radio” at second year.

Furthermore, due to the global pandemic some topics are not easy to teach or learn when you are doing it through a computer, the dynamic of the classes will stand out depending on how well the teachers handle the variety of options that has technology. If the teacher speaks while she/he projects the same slide on the screen the whole class, it would be hard to maintain focus on the lecture, nevertheless if a teacher projects different slides, videos and encourages the students to participate despite the pandemic context, I think it would be easier to keep focus on the class theme.

The college workload of this year meant to be stuck on the computer being on classes, long group online meetings or by completing tasks and exams, things in which I spent most of my time. At least in my case, between university and house chores, I usually ran out of time and ended up quite tired. I assume that because I’m studying to get a degree the workload will always be huge, besides I’m going to have presential classes next year, so I’ll have even more work to do.

I may not give a complete opinion in relation to the Juan Gómez Milla facility, since I’ve only been there once with the purpose of assist to a class, therefore I don’t have all the information to make any judgment regarding the functioning of the installations. I may only say the design of the buildings is peculiar and I think it needs more green areas.


Comentarios